Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ten best most evocative lines from popular songs

Music is what inspired me, more than anything else, to think for myself. Some of the best music in the world are poetry, literature... So here's ten of my favorite "one liners" from my favorite artists. Hope you enjoy, let me know what you think and let me know what your favorite line is!
  1. "All lies and jests till the man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
    "The Boxer", a Simon and Garfunkle classic. For me this line speaks of not being heard, not being taken serious.

  2. "What do you know, you know just what you perceive"
    "Dreidel" is one of the lesser known songs by Don McLean. I think it's a great statement about the human condition, there's nothing you can be sure of, all is in the eyes of the beholder.

  3. "Remember what they taught you, how much of it was fear. Refuse to hand it down, the legacy stops here."
    Silent legacy, a great song about the things we're taught as children that we hardly ever think about when we grow. Melissa Etheridge has had her own battle in that respect, making her biography a very interesting read.

  4. "Happy I am, all on the new day. Happy I am, people and flowers are one and the same"
    Donovan has such a soft and gentle way of speaking about life and happiness. I honestly believe that the pursuit of happiness is what we're on this earth for.

  5. "Yonder stands your orphan with his gun"
    An old Bob Dylan classic, It's all over now baby blue. What fascinates me is the concept of "your orphan". In two words he captures the way we have disowned our children.

  6. "Do you remember days not so very long ago, when the world was run by people twice your size?"
    I use this line from "Catch another butterfly"by John Denver because it expresses clearly to me why there's no excuse for ever hitting a child. Imagine a 12 foot giant whooping you upside the head...

  7. "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true"
    A sad epic song about life in the USA, "The river" by Bruce Springsteen. He's talking about the American dream of course, but I think it's more universal than that.

  8. "Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose"
    The immortal Janis Joplin in Bobby McGee, to me she speaks of the loneliness in freedom without love and compassion.

  9. "Will you be a friend of mine to remind me what is real"
    From the song "Out of my mind", by James Blunt. He speaks about the madness of sudden fame and the need for friends, but it goes way deeper than that for me. Our friends are there to confirm our vision of reality.

  10. "Sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting time"
    Otis redding, hot sultry days, long nights of slow love, the imagery in just that one line, a complete philosophy of life. After all, none of us know why we're here, let's waste time...

No comments:

Post a Comment